Thursday, December 25, 2008

Adventures in the Swamplands - Day 4

Merry Christmas dear friends!

As we sit here in the cold of our hotel room and shiver, we can't help but ponder our Christmas day. The day began with my brother and I realizing we hadn't wrapped any Christmas presents yet. Oops. But it's okay, we took it all in stride. My brother went to go get breakfast downstairs and I decided to take a shower and get pretty for the day. Now that's creative problem solving at its best. I mean really CREATIVE problem solving. We realized that our procrastination hadn't worked when our dad knocked on the door to pick us up, and his gift was still sitting on the bed. Panic stricken, I threw my brother's coat over my dad's Christmas present...which ironically was a coat. No, it was not a technicolor dream coat...just plain old ordinary black. I mean electrifying black. Haven't you heard black is the new black? The rouse worked like a charm bracelet (which incidentally is what we got our mom). My dad thought I was out of my mind when I told him to look for his gift under the jacket...oh well, at least he still loves me. Thus began our Christmas morning.

Transition...Segway...Cut to....

The next four hours of the day included a traditional Christmas lunch, soon to be followed by hours of reading "Breaking Dawn" for myself and who knows what my brother was doing. With midafternoon came lots of family we've never actually met before. Single tear. Drip. Two of the newly found family members are psychiatrists from California. Now that adds fun to a semi-dysfunctional family gathering. It's amazing what you can find whenever you look under a rock. The conclusion of the family fun brought a photo session that felt much like the paparazzi were after us. I guess this is what happens when you're the next generation of a family and they haven't seen each other in years. The exciting part was when our younger cousin kept trying to dodge each picture. It was like he was a native american afraid that his soul was going to be captured by the camera.

Fast forward...Move on...Come to the present....

And again here we sit in our hotel room. Fighting over what we're going to write on the blog for tonight. Wondering who left the air on in the room all day to make it so cold (confession: it was me but I still blame my brother).

A Swamp Divided,

Laura and Michael

No comments: