Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Adventures in the Swamplands - Day 3

Well friends, we've made it to Christmas Eve in Louisiana. So far we haven't been eaten by alligators or been swept away by a hurricane. Right now my brother and I are sitting in our hotel room watching a movie from our past...our far past....going back to age 4 would be a more accurate description of how far back. It's definitely a classic and one I'm sure we've all seen and remember with fond memories. That's right kids, we're watching "The Cat in the Hat." Why you might be asking yourself? Well, I'm not really sure why this is our movie of choice for the evening, but I'm sure we'll soon be moving to 24 hours of a Christmas Story soon.

Tonight we've decided to reminisce on the Fitzsimmons Family Christmas traditions...mainly because, with great disappointment, most of them were not fulfilled this evening. Now the traditions we speak of are not ALL normal family traditions. In fact, you might even call them weird...but we'll work up to those. Our first tradition that was broken this year was the lack of gumbo for dinner. Gumbo is like a staple in our family...especially on Christmas Eve in Louisiana. We have also failed to fulfill our tradition of watching 24 hours of a Christmas Story on TBS. Okay, Michael has never seen a Christmas Story, but it's another essential for me and my dad. However, we do have 22 more hours to make this one happen and I'm determined to make Michael watch it even if I have to tape his eyelids open. I'm not even sure why this has become a tradition for my dad and I. We don't really even like the movie...so 24 hours of it, that's just too much!

Now this brings us to our final broken tradition of the year. I feel confident that there will be a hole in my heart because of this one. It is something I have come to depend on over the years. You could almost say we depend on it like we depend on air and water. It's a necessity. And that necessity has fondly become known as frequent trips to Walmart the night of Christmas Eve. Why Walmart and not Target you ask? Welcome to Covington, Louisiana...there is no Target...no mall...nothing. Just Walmart. Ironic isn't it? The only excuse to escape from our family is to hang out with everyone else's family. Of course, if I can't go to Walmart, how am I going to find tape for Michael's eyelids? Oh well, there is always next year.

A Swamp Still Divided,

Laura and Michael

No comments: