Monday, December 22, 2008

Adventures in the Swamplands - Day 1

Once again it's Christmas, the time of family festivities in Louisiana....oy vay! In honor of the next five days, my brother and I have decided to document our family fun for your reading pleasure. It's sure to be a staggering work of heartbreaking genius. Well, at least it should be mildly entertaining...maybe. No promises. Anyway, our excursion was underway at precisely 20:34 military time when my brother and I were reunited at the Louis Armstrong International Airport. Can't you just hear the saxophone...wait, is that Bill playing? It's good to see he's keeping himself busy during the down economy. Anyway, we're still in the airport and the adventure has already begun. We go to the baggage claim and head to the only conveyor belt with people. Now see if you can follow our logic: a plane lands and five minutes later everyone in sight is gathered around a single luggage return...that must be where the luggage is going, right? Not so my friend. My brother looks around and informs me that NONE of the people were on the flight. That's crazy talk. But I decided to indulge his delusional fantasies of flying with other people. Oy! So, we walk up and down the baggage claim...several times actually. Still no fellow passengers that my apparently Alzheimer's ridden brother recognizes. Without a word, Michael suddenly storms out of the baggage claim area and charges through the rental car kiosks into an undecorated hallway that looks like it should have an "employees only" sign at the entrance. All the while, I'm trailing behind trying to figure out which demon has possessed my brother. We FINALLY reach the light at the end of the tunnel/hallway and emerge in a "secret" baggage claim. AHH Success! I guess my brother isn't delusional, Alzheimer's ridden or demon possessed after all. What a relief, especially on the last one. I left my holy water at the house. I mean we weren't all boy scouts and I needed space for my yachting shoes.

I must confess that the rest of the night was a bit of a let down after that adventure. Although we did have dinner at a Northern Italian restaurant and I swear it was run by the Corleone Family. Anywho, that's all for tonight. But no worries, there's more to come tomorrow!

A Swamp Divided,

Laura and Michael




2 comments:

Kristie said...

Thanks for the Dave Eggars reference, although his book is titled A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

And I'm taking your holy water with me to my mom's this week. You never know where the demons will show up next. ;)

Sarah said...

oh my stars child...you are a mess. can your next swampland post please contain pictures? please and thank you!!