Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Adventures in the Swamplands - Day 2

Dear Traveler's Log,

No wait, that's lame. It sounds too much like a diary and diaries are for my seventh grade girls.

Well, here we are in day two of our Louisiana adventure. I think today could be summarized by alligator wrestling and Louisiana cuisine. And by alligator wrestling, I don't actually mean alligator wrestling. That was meant more to draw you into what we actually have to say. Sucker! This morning was game time for Michael and I. It was officially time to see the entire crazy family all in the same moment. Don't underestimate our small family. Families are like scorpions, the smaller ones just have a more concentrated dose of crazy. They can be especially overwhelming when they come at you all at once. It's pure insanity I tell you. Technically our day started around 1:30 today at lunch. There was a lot of sleeping done on our part to say the least....and again, by "our" I mean my part. When you're in Louisiana it's all about the food. I'm not one for loving seafood but I have come to embrace the po-boy. I don't mean to overemphasize the power of the po-boy to tempt one into gluttony, but the family filled up at lunch, ordered one for the road and by dinner time someone had stolen Michael's half eaten sandwich. Yeah, it's that good. So there we are, the family sitting around the table, basking in the cajuny goodness that was about to come when the oddest thing happened. I've spent the last week drooling like one of Pavlov's dogs at the thought of a seafood po-boy, particularly a crawfish po-boy. The waitress came around the corner, asked for my order and I said "I'll have a barbeque sandwich please." WHAT? Who said that? It sounded like me and I felt the words roll off my tongue, but why would I do that? I drive past Railhead BBQ twice a week, but I fly 600+ miles to get BBQ roast beef in New Orleans. That's like my brother, a self proclaimed San Antonian flying to Beijing for traditional Tex-Mex fair. Ludicrous.

As you can see, this was a pretty big deal to me. After lunch we made our way back to my cousins' house and I somehow got roped into doing manual labor...aka painting. What? Since when does Christmas vacation involve painting a house? It was supposed to be a project for my brother and I, but my brother disappeared right as I started painting and didn't show up back in the house until after my dad dropped me off at the hotel. Nice. Thanks and Gig'em Michael. Love you too bro. And here we are, back at the hotel making pizza rolls in the microwave and eating them straight out of the box. Oh look, we're back to cuisine. See, in Louisiana, it really is all about the food.

A Swamp Divided,

Laura and Michael

3 comments:

Sarah said...

tell your brother he better not leave you again...you gotta stick together down there in the swampland!!!

cotton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cotton said...

Laura and I decided that mentioning the cajun cheeese fries spent too much time talking about food, but since she added a photo, I can keep my mouth shut no longer. The fries are called cajun because they're covered in buffalo sauce. Shouldn't that make them New York fries? Food for thought.