Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Naked?

So...this weekend my roommate and I had kind of a weird conversation. While we were at The Cheesecake Factory we started discussing/arguing over how you say the word "naked." After much discussion, we still disagree...however while we were there I decided to write something about it on my facebook status. I must say I have received quite a bit of input from friends, but my friend Stephen made a comment this afternoon that is just too good to keep from the world. Here's what he had to say:

"I'm intrigued by this status and must share with you that I actually have developed my own personal philosophy on the pronunciation of this word. If one is unclothed, but at that time it is appropriate to be unclothed, it should be pronounced "naked." i.e. bathing. If however, one is unclothed and it is inappropriate at that time to be unclothed... Read More, it should be pronounced "nekkid" i.e. streaking. I'll now use both forms in one sentence to demonstrate the difference: "I would have stopped my nekkid neighbor from skinny dipping in my pool sooner, but I was in the shower naked and had to get dressed first." Also, I refer to these two forms as "proper" naked and "naughty" nekkid. p.s. awkward putting this at the end of this post, but haven't talked to you in while, fritzy, how are things?"

I can't decide which part is my favorite. Probably the last sentence when he asks me how I'm doing...just because it is quite the awkward place to ask that.

Thanks Stephen!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

that is quite possibly one of the funniest things i've ever heard!!!

Kristie said...

It's nAked.

And don't you forget it!

cotton said...

As you know, I have an opinion about EVERYTHING. This is no exception. Similar to racial pejoratives, the correct word usage is not based on how it is used, but who uses it. The word naked can be used universally, however to use the word nekkid requires at least one count of in-breeding within two generations or two counts within four generations. I have seen your family tree and you are only allowed to use the word nekkid in the context of an intellectual discussion.